The Philippine Sports Commission will delve deeper into the incident involving former Jose Rizal University cager John Anthony Amores when he charged and turned violent against the players of the College of St. Benilde two weeks ago.
PSC chairman Noli Eala said the government sport body will begin its probe, now that things have settled down in the ongoing 98th National Collegiate Athletic Association men’s basketball tournament.
The agency has assembled a fact-finding committee, composed of Eala, with assistance from PSC commissioner Bong Coo and PSC Executive Director Atty. Guillermo Iroy, Jr.
Eala said the investigation will determine the “appropriate actions to be taken by the commission on all those who may have been involved in the incident.”
So far, Amores has personally apologized to the Blazers, particularly to Mark Sangco, Taine Davis, Jimboy Pasturan and Miguel Oczon over the incident when he visited the team’s practice session on Saturday.
The peace offering from Amores came 11 days after he went berserk during a CSB-JRU game and punched four players, bringing down two in Pasturan and Davis.
Amores is currently suspended indefinitely by the league and has been removed from the JRU athletics program. He also has two court cases of assault, filed against him by Pasturan and Davis in San Juan.
Benilde coach Charles Tiu said that there’s no sign yet that the case against Amores will be dropped.
Meanwhile, the CSB Blazers will face the San Beda Red Lions at 3 p.m. on Tuesday at the FilOil-Ecoil Arena in San Juan, seeking an important win that will keep them in contention for the no. 1 seeding in the Final Four.
The Blazers share the same slate with the Letran Knights and can secure a twice-to-beat incentive with a victory.
The Red Lions (12-5) are behind the Knights and the Blazers. They could force a share of the no. 2 spot if they win.