THE Bureau of Corrections has filed a criminal complaint against a member of the Special Action Force for carrying out a fake raid and stealing money from the chapel of the New Bilibid Prison, an official said Thursday.
Bureau Director Benjamin Delos Santos said the complaint for robbery was filed before the Muntinlupa City Prosecutors’ Office.
He said the SAF trooper enlisted the help of two prisoners and took P200,000 in cash and a television set.
‘‘He even provided the PDL [person deprived of liberty] SAF uniforms,’’ Delos Santos said in a text message.
He made his statement even as Malacañang said Thursday the Philippine Marine Corps would soon replace the SAF troopers in guarding the New Bilibid Prison after the reported resumption of the trade of illegal drugs there.
“Philippine National Police Chief Ronald dela Rosa has already talked to the President on the deployment of marines to replace the SAF personnel in the Bilibid, which was put on hold because of the Marawi rebellion,” Presidential Spokesman Ernesto Abella told reporters.
He said Dela Rosa would be the one to decide when to replace the SAF troopers.
“That is his call,” Abella said.
More than 300 SAF troopers were deployed to the NBP last year, but they were supposed to stay there for only six months before being replaced by the marines.
Delos Santos said the SAF trooper eventually confessed to the prison chaplain but insisted he did not know who took the TV set.
“He admitted his wrongdoing and apologized that he could no longer return the money,” Delos Santos said.
He said they were also investigating two other incidents involving drugs.
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II earlier said the SAF might have been tainted with the resurgence of the illegal trade in drugs inside the NBP.