29.7 C
Monday, May 27, 2024

CSC urges honor graduates to apply for special eligibility

- Advertisement -

The Civil Service Commission on Wednesday encouraged college graduates who have earned Latin honors to apply for the Honor Graduate Eligibility (HGE) if they desire a career in the public sector.

“Summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude graduates no longer need to take the Career Service Exam as they may avail of the special eligibility. We are eager to work with these bright and fresh minds to bolster the quality of public service,” CSC Chairperson Karlo Nograles said.

Nograles, citing Presidential Decree No. 907, said HGE may be availed of by bachelor’s degree graduates regardless of the number of years of completion. It covers graduates of both conventional mode of learning as well as Open Distance Learning (ODL).

Those who are eligible for HGE include honor graduates of private higher education institutions (HEI) in the Philippines with bachelor’s degree recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), state/local colleges or universities with bachelor’s degrees included in their charters, or duly approved by their Board of Trustees or Board of Regents.

Meanwhile, for honor graduates through ODL, the open university, college, or institution must be recognized by the CHED as a degree-granting HEI. They must also have at least Level III accreditation or CHED-equivalent in the programs offered in the conventional classroom or traditional mode of learning.

Filipinos who graduated with honors from reputable foreign schools may also apply for Foreign School Honor Graduate Eligibility (FSHGE).

However, the CSC clarified that HGE, HGE-ODL, and FSHGE grants do not include other academic honors, distinctions, or awards, such as Highest Academic Distinction, Dean’s List with Distinction, and Honorable Mention.

“These eligibilities for honor graduates are considered appropriate for first and second level positions in the government that do not require the practice of a specific profession and are not covered by Bar, Board, or other laws,” Nograles explained.

Honor graduates may file their HGE application to the CSC Regional Office or Field Office that has jurisdiction over their academic institution or alma mater, while FSHGE applicants may submit their application to the nearest aforementioned offices where they are based in the Philippines.


Popular Articles