No COVID-19 cases have been recorded at the Ospital ng Makati (OsMak) and Makati Medical Center (MMC), Mayor Abigail Binay said on Wednesday.
The city-run OsMak, according to Binay, has not recorded any new COVID-19 case since Nov. 24.
“Earlier this month, we had 54 patients with COVID-like symptoms at OsMak. Fortunately, they all tested negative after undergoing RT-PCR tests. Therefore, we have zero COVID cases at OsMak,” she stated.
The city chief executive said a 75-year-old man was the last person so far to be admitted at OsMak last Nov 24 due to a critical COVID-19 infection. He died last December 3.
MMC medical director Dr. Saturnino Javier earlier issued a statement to the media confirming the hospital’s zero-COVID patient census for the first time in 20 months since March 2020.
At present, Makati is under low-risk classification with 31 active cases, zero death, and one recovery, according to the latest report of the Makati Health Department.
Binay said the MHD attributed the low number of active cases to the city’s high vaccination rate, availability of rapid antigen tests and RT-PCR tests, surveillance and early isolation or quarantine of suspected COVID-19 patients, and strict implementation of minimum public health standards.
She, however, reminded the public not to be complacent. She cited the looming threat of the Omicron variant, which has been detected in some neighboring countries, including Hong Kong.
“Even if we are now under the low-risk classification, we should remain vigilant. It may only be a matter of time before the Omicron variant makes its way to our country. We must continue to strictly observe public health standards like wearing face masks and keeping a one-meter distance from another person,” she said.
To date, Makati has vaccinated 439,185 individuals or more than 70 percent (437,192) of Makati’s population (624,560).
The city continues to speed up the Bakuna Makati drive in partnership with the private sector to further decrease the number of active cases.