spot_img
29.4 C
Philippines
Saturday, May 18, 2024

DMW says 2 Filipinos now recovering in UAE

- Advertisement -

The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) on Sunday said two Filipinos who got into vehicular accidents amid the flooding in the United Arab Emirates were hospitalized and are now recuperating.

DMW officer-in-charge Hans Leo Cacdac said the two Filipinos were in the intensive care unit for a while, but are now “on the road to recovery.”

“They got into vehicular accidents. They have already been visited and likewise been assured that the help and support of the government will be given to them, in accordance with the directive of our President,” Cacdac said, in an interview DZBB Super Radyo.

Three overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) were unfortunately killed in the UAE flooding. Two of them died due to suffocation inside their vehicle during the flood, while the other one died due to a vehicular accident.

According to Cacdac, arrangements are being made for the repatriation of their bodies. He is hoping the remains will arrive in the Philippines before the month ends.

“There is no set date yet. But this is the UAE, they process documents quickly. On the side of DMW, our labor counterpart there is easy to approach. It’s just difficult to set a date, but most likely, the three bodies can be repatriated this month,” the DMW official stressed.

The DMW chief also said that the floods in UAE are now subsiding, with the daily lives of the people there slowly getting back to normal.

The rains were the heaviest experienced by the UAE in the 75 years that records have been kept.

They brought much of the country to a standstill and caused significant damage.

Experts said that the sudden weather may have been caused by climate change. The flood may have been partly caused by the lack of drainage infrastructure in the country.

Around 650,000 Filipinos are in Dubai, but none have requested to be repatriated so far after the floods.

LATEST NEWS

Popular Articles