Authorities cautioned the public against a syndicate soliciting financial help for the victims and survivors of the Mamasapano Massacre last month, where 44 members of the Special Action Force were killed.
“We are warning the public to beware of scam using the SAF 44 asking for donations and individuals who are taking advantage of the situation,” said Metro Manila police director Carmelo Valmoria.
Authorities have discovered that members of a syndicate are using the names of personalities, including Valmoria, to solicit donations supposedly for the aggrieved families.
“They’re taking advantage of the situation. I want to take this opportunity to tell the public they should not believe and avoid these people,” Valmoria said.
He warned that syndicates might give would-be donors bank account numbers where they could deposit their cash donation.
Valmoria said the National Capital Region Police Office is not soliciting financial support for the families of the SAF commandos.
He, however, encouraged donors to extend their help through an account maintained and authorized by the Philippine National Police with the Land Bank of the Philippines.
He asked the public to remit their cash donations to the PNP Special Assistance Fund Account 1862-1027-77 or Chief Inspector Renante Pinuela, of the PNP Directorate for Comptrollership at contact numbers: 0917-270-5533 and 0917-857-6062.
The SAF operatives were doing a legitimate police operation in Mamasapano town in Maguindanao on Jan. 25 when they were attacked by suspected members of Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters and Moro Islamic Liberation Front.
A total of 392 elements of the PNP-SAF were involved in the operation, of whom 44 were killed and 12 were wounded.
On Thursday, Filipinos will mark the 40th day of the massacre.