Friday, June 9, 2023
manilastandard.net
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • News
    • Top Stories
    • National
    • World News
    • Pinoy Abroad
    • Features
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Columns
    • Soundbytes
  • LGUs
    • NCR
    • Luzon
    • Visayas
    • Mindanao
  • Business
    • Corporate
    • Economy & Trade
    • Stocks
    • Money
    • Agri & Mining
    • Power & Tech
    • IT & Telecom
  • Sports
    • Basketball
    • Volleyball
    • Fightsports
    • Active
    • Sports Plus
    • One Championship
    • Columns
  • Entertainment
    • TV & Movies
    • Celebrity Profiles
    • Music & Concerts
    • Digital Media
    • Columns
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Culture & Media
    • Fashion
    • Health and Home
    • Leisure
    • Shopping
    • Columns
  • Others
    • Pets
    • Pop.Life
      • Newsmakers
      • Hangouts
      • A-Pop
      • Post Its
      • Performances
      • Malls & Bazaars
      • Hobbies & Collections
    • Technology
      • Gadgets
      • Computers
      • Business
      • Tech Plus
    • MS ON THE ROAD
      • Sedan
      • SUV
      • Truck
      • Bike
      • Accessories
      • Motoring Plus
      • Commuter’s Corner
    • Home & Design
      • Residential
      • Commercial
      • Construction
      • Interior
    • Spotlight
    • Gallery
      • Photos
      • Videos
    • Events
      • Seminars
      • Exhibits
      • Community
    • Biyahero
      • Travel Features
      • Travel Reels
      • Travel Logs
  • Advertise with Us
No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • News
    • Top Stories
    • National
    • World News
    • Pinoy Abroad
    • Features
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Columns
    • Soundbytes
  • LGUs
    • NCR
    • Luzon
    • Visayas
    • Mindanao
  • Business
    • Corporate
    • Economy & Trade
    • Stocks
    • Money
    • Agri & Mining
    • Power & Tech
    • IT & Telecom
  • Sports
    • Basketball
    • Volleyball
    • Fightsports
    • Active
    • Sports Plus
    • One Championship
    • Columns
  • Entertainment
    • TV & Movies
    • Celebrity Profiles
    • Music & Concerts
    • Digital Media
    • Columns
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Culture & Media
    • Fashion
    • Health and Home
    • Leisure
    • Shopping
    • Columns
  • Others
    • Pets
    • Pop.Life
      • Newsmakers
      • Hangouts
      • A-Pop
      • Post Its
      • Performances
      • Malls & Bazaars
      • Hobbies & Collections
    • Technology
      • Gadgets
      • Computers
      • Business
      • Tech Plus
    • MS ON THE ROAD
      • Sedan
      • SUV
      • Truck
      • Bike
      • Accessories
      • Motoring Plus
      • Commuter’s Corner
    • Home & Design
      • Residential
      • Commercial
      • Construction
      • Interior
    • Spotlight
    • Gallery
      • Photos
      • Videos
    • Events
      • Seminars
      • Exhibits
      • Community
    • Biyahero
      • Travel Features
      • Travel Reels
      • Travel Logs
  • Advertise with Us
No Result
View All Result
manilastandard.net
No Result
View All Result
Home News

6 more charged with kidnapping of sabungeros

Rey E. RequejobyRey E. Requejo
December 24, 2022, 1:20 am
in News, Top Stories
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Email

Six more persons have been charged with kidnapping after a spate of mysterious disappearances in the country’s massive cockfighting industry, authorities said Friday, with dozens of victims feared dead.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) said in a statement that apart from the six—all cockpit security personnel—prosecutors had found probable cause to file charges against three former police officers, Police Staff Sgt. Daryl Panghangaan and patrolmen Roy Navarete and Rigel Brosas, for allegedly robbing and abducting a man from his house.

Police said the victim—Ricardo Lasco, accused of operating a fake betting website—was taken from his home in August last year.

Last week, the Justice Department said it found sufficient basis to indict the three police officers for robbery and kidnapping following the disappearance of the “sabungero” in Laguna in August 2021.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) said five officers were dismissed over the case, including the three being charged.

The cockpit security personnel are also being charged with kidnapping after witnesses saw them bundle six players into a van against their will during a cockfight in January.

Prosecutors said they found sufficient basis to indict farm manager Julie Patidongan, Gleer Codilla, Mark Carlo Zabala, Virgilio Bayog, Johnry Consolacion, and Roberto Matillano Jr.

The DOJ prosecutors said the six conspired in the kidnapping of John Claude Inonog, James Baccay, Marlon Baccay, Rondel Cristorum, Mark Joseph Velasco, and Rowel Gomez on Jan. 13.

The cockfighting enthusiasts left Tanay, Rizal at 1 p.m. to go to the Manila Arena but were forced to board a gray van at around 7:30 p.m.

Venancio Inonog, the father of one of the victims, told the DOJ that his son had told him on the phone that they were forced to board a van. Venancio said he also heard screaming before the call was cut off.

The six cockfighting enthusiasts were never seen again, and their vehicle was found abandoned in Brgy. Sampaloc, Tanay, Rizal.

Prosecutors said the respondents were the last persons positively identified by a witness to have forcibly taken the victims.

A Senate investigation found the players were suspected of sabotaging their roosters so they would lose, while secretly betting on their opponents.

There are at least 27 people still missing in other suspected kidnappings linked to cockfighting around Metro Manila. State prosecutors are investigating some of the other cases but have yet to file charges.

Police have said that many of the victims were last seen alive inside the cockpits.

Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla has said all 34 people missing in the cases are likely dead.

Prosecutors decided to press charges against the police officers and the cockpit security guards “in light of the positive identification (of the suspects) and credible testimonies of the complainants’ witnesses,” the Justice Department said in its statement.

Authorities said they expected to bring charges in the other missing persons cases but hopes of finding the victims alive were fading.

“I wouldn’t even want to call them missing cockfighters, but probably dead cockfighters,” Remulla told reporters this week.

“The probability of them coming out (alive) is not very high.”

Filipinos from all walks of life wager millions of pesos on matches every week between roosters who fight to the death with razor-sharp metal spurs tied to their legs.

The sport, banned in many other countries, survived coronavirus pandemic restrictions by going online, drawing many more bettors who use their mobile phones to place wagers.

The abductions shone a spotlight on the seedy underbelly of the online cockfighting industry, in which fights were held in empty arenas and livestreamed to millions of bettors.

Taxes from the fights helped to replenish government coffers depleted by the pandemic, but then-president Rodrigo Duterte banned the livestreaming shortly before he left office on June 30, while allowing traditional cockfighting to resume. With AFP

Tags: Daryl PanghangaanDepartment of JusticeKidnappingsabungeros
ADVERTISEMENT
Rey E. Requejo

Rey E. Requejo

Related Posts

PBBM to new DOH Chief: Craft COVID exit plan, focus on TB, HIV cases

byMacon Ramos-Araneta
June 9, 2023, 1:05 am
0
8
PBBM to boost morale of SEAG-bound PH athletes

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has instructed Dr. Ted Herbosa to craft a COVID-19 exit plan for the country and focus...

Read more

ASEAN naval drills up in SCS

byAFP
June 9, 2023, 1:00 am
0
8
Sweet dreams are made of these: Tips to achieve great sleep every night

Bloc's first-ever joint exercises to focus on maritime search and rescue Southeast Asian nations have agreed to hold their first-ever...

Read more

Marcos: No shift from China to another superpower

byVince Lopez
June 9, 2023, 12:55 am
0
8
Marcos: No shift from China to another superpower

ALL SMILES. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. gamely poses for a selfie with Chinese Ambassador Huang Xilian (in blue suit), Association...

Read more

House leaders call for end to ‘political bickering’

byMaricel Cruz
June 9, 2023, 12:50 am
0
8
Southwoods nails Seniors’ Fil golf crown

Lawmakers said they remain focused on efforts to improve the lives of Filipinos as they called for an end to...

Read more

Alert Level 3 raised over Mayon:‘ Hazardous eruption’ possible

byRio N. Arajaand3 others
June 9, 2023, 12:45 am
0
8
The ‘Big One’: Over 60k fatalities, 120k missing

ERUPTION LIKELY. This handout photo shows Mayon Volcano spewing white smoke as seen from Legazpi City on June 8, 2023....

Read more

Non-monetary benefits eyed for soldiers

byVince Lopez
June 9, 2023, 12:40 am
0
8
PNP gets new armaments

Amid grumbling over a government plan to cut military pensions, Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. said Thursday that non-monetary benefits...

Read more

Print Edition

View More

Recent Posts

  • MRC ALLIED, INC.: Notice of Annual Meeting of Stockholders
  • ASIA PACIFIC MEDICAL CENTER-ILOILO, INC.: Notice of Regular Meeting of Stockholders
  • PBBM to new DOH Chief: Craft COVID exit plan, focus on TB, HIV cases
  • ASEAN naval drills up in SCS
  • Marcos: No shift from China to another superpower
  • House leaders call for end to ‘political bickering’
  • Alert Level 3 raised over Mayon:‘ Hazardous eruption’ possible
  • Non-monetary benefits eyed for soldiers

Advertisement

Latest News

House leaders call for end to ‘political bickering’

byMaricel Cruz
June 9, 2023, 12:50 am
0
8
Southwoods nails Seniors’ Fil golf crown

Lawmakers said they remain focused on efforts to improve the lives of Filipinos as they called for an end to...

Read more

Alert Level 3 raised over Mayon:‘ Hazardous eruption’ possible

byRio N. Arajaand3 others
June 9, 2023, 12:45 am
0
8
The ‘Big One’: Over 60k fatalities, 120k missing

ERUPTION LIKELY. This handout photo shows Mayon Volcano spewing white smoke as seen from Legazpi City on June 8, 2023....

Read more

Non-monetary benefits eyed for soldiers

byVince Lopez
June 9, 2023, 12:40 am
0
8
PNP gets new armaments

Amid grumbling over a government plan to cut military pensions, Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. said Thursday that non-monetary benefits...

Read more

‘Unity key to improved growth forecast’

byMaricel Cruz
June 9, 2023, 12:35 am
0
8
Journalist, former UP CMC dean Luis Teodoro passes away at 81

Speaker Martin G. Romualdez on Thursday said the united effort of the executive and legislative branches of the government is...

Read more

The ‘Big One’: Over 60k fatalities, 120k missing

byCharles Dantes
June 9, 2023, 12:30 am
0
8
The ‘Big One’: Over 60k fatalities, 120k missing

READY FOR THE BIG ONE? Students take part in a nationwide earthquake drill at an elementary school in Manila on...

Read more

Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube

ABOUT US

Manila Standard

Manila Standard website (manilastandard.net), launched in August 2002, extends the newspaper’s reach beyond its traditional readers and makes its brand of Philippine news and opinion available to a much wider and geographically diverse readership here and overseas.

Digital Edition

In tone and content, the online edition mirrors the editorial thrust of the newspaper. While hewing to the traditional precepts of fairness and objectivity, MS believes the news of the day need not be staid, overly long or dry. Stories are succinct, readable and written in a lively style that has become a hallmark of the newspaper.

Download – Today’s Paper

Search

No Result
View All Result

6th Floor Universal Re Bldg., 106 Paseo De Roxas cor. Perea Street, Legaspi Village, 1226 Makati City Philippines

Trunklines: 832-5554, 832-5556, 832-5558

© 2021 Manila Standard - Designed and Developed by Neitiviti Studios.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • News
    • Top Stories
    • National
    • World News
    • Pinoy Abroad
    • Features
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Columns
    • Soundbytes
  • LGUs
    • NCR
    • Luzon
    • Visayas
    • Mindanao
  • Business
    • Corporate
    • Economy & Trade
    • Stocks
    • Money
    • Agri & Mining
    • Power & Tech
    • IT & Telecom
  • Sports
    • Basketball
    • Volleyball
    • Fightsports
    • Active
    • Sports Plus
    • One Championship
    • Columns
  • Entertainment
    • TV & Movies
    • Celebrity Profiles
    • Music & Concerts
    • Digital Media
    • Columns
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Culture & Media
    • Fashion
    • Health and Home
    • Leisure
    • Shopping
    • Columns
  • Pop.Life
    • Newsmakers
    • Hangouts
    • A-Pop
    • Post Its
    • Performances
    • Malls & Bazaars
    • Hobbies & Collections
  • Technology
    • Gadgets
    • Computers
    • Business
    • Tech Plus
  • MS ON THE ROAD
    • Sedan
    • SUV
    • Truck
    • Bike
    • Accessories
    • Motoring Plus
    • Commuter’s Corner
  • Home & Design
    • Residential
    • Commercial
    • Construction
    • Interior
  • Spotlight
  • Gallery
    • Photos
    • Videos
  • Events
    • Seminars
    • Exhibits
    • Community
  • Biyahero
    • Travel Features
    • Travel Reels
    • Travel Logs
  • Pets
  • Advertise with Us

© 2021 Manila Standard - Designed and Developed by Neitiviti Studios.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Install Manila Standard Web App

Install App