The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday said it will suspend the permit to carry firearms outside of residence (PTFCOR) as part of security measures ahead of the inauguration rites of President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Vice President-elect Sara Duterte.
“This was already approved by our (OIC) officer-in-charge, Lt. Gen. Vicente Danao Jr., and the suspension covers the period of full preparations, deployment, and implementation of the security measures for the oath-taking events of the two highest-ranking officials of the country,” said PNP director for operations, Maj. Gen. Valeriano de Leon.
The suspension will be in effect in Davao City from June 16 to 21 and in Metro Manila from June 27 to July 2.
Duterte will take her oath as the country’s 15th Vice President in Davao City on June 19 while Marcos will take his oath as the 17th President at the National Museum of the Philippines in Manila on June 30.
De Leon said violation of the rule would result in the confiscation of firearms and revocation of the gun owners’ PTFCOR as well as appropriate charges.
He also added they are also on alert against groups that might try to disrupt these activities.
While protest actions are allowed in “freedom parks” without any permits, De Leon said they will not allow protesters to go near the venues of the inaugurations to prevent any untoward incidents.
On Monday night, De Leon met with PNP commanders led by Police Regional Office 11 chief, Brig. Gen. Benjamin Silo, Regional Manila Police District chief, Brig. Gen. Leo Francisco to discuss security preparations for the two events.
“The security plans are ready. I just made some suggestions on the aspect of reliable communication lines and some specifics based on my experience in handling big events,” De Leon said.
For instance, he said he wants to get the names of all police personnel who would be assigned to the entrances to ensure accountability for any incident that might result from lapses in the implementation of the approved security plans.
At least 3,700 police officers will be tapped to secure the oath taking of Duterte while at least 6,000 police officers will be deployed for Marcos’s inauguration.
“These figures do not include those who would be deployed for border control and the forces from the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines), PCG (Philippine Coast Guard), and other allied forces that we have yet to consolidate,” De Leon added.
He said that Civil Disturbance Management units will also be deployed near the oath-taking sites while road closures will also be implemented.
“The world will be watching us and we will not allow unruly and unauthorized rallies,” De Leon said.
Based on the coordination with concerned local government units, De Leon said there have been no rally permits given so far to any groups.
Senator Imee Marcos, meanwhile, said the entire family, including her mother, former first lady Imelda Marcos, would attend the inauguration at the National Museum on June 30.
While Mrs. Marcos insisted on wearing a recycled gown, the senator said a new gown will be made for her.
Meanwhile, Duterte said she would be sworn into office by Supreme Court Associate Justice Ramon Paul Hernando, a former professor and her friend.
She said she would be spending the night before her inauguration at her home in Davao City.
Her father, President Rodrigo Duterte, will attend the inauguration, said the incoming vice president’s spokesman Liloan Mayor Christina