The Manila City government has started allowing dine-in services at fast-food chains and restaurants, but stressed that establishments are only allowed to operate at 30-percent capacity.
Manila City Mayor Francisco "Isko" Domagoso on Monday informed fast-food chains they could now offer dine-in services, provided they would comply with protocols set by the national government.
Bureau of Permits Director Levi Facundo warned businesses that authorities would not hesitate to shut down businesses who would refuse to comply with the government’s protocols.
Food establishments caught defying the national government’s protocols would be issued show cause orders, Facundo said. Failure to provide a valid explanation will result into the issuance of a closure order, he said.
“However, if fully validated there had been violations, the closure order would be immediately enforced,” Facundo said.
Under national government protocols, servers of restaurants should wear proper personal protective equipment such as face masks and gloves, while the restaurant's utensils should be disposable.
Facundo said that under the “new normal” in dine-in establishments, customers in a table must sit diagonally to observe physical distancing.
The management must also implement a “No Mask, No Entry” policy and regularly conduct sanitation activities in all of its facilities.
"If you are dining more than the capacity, chances are they will not get to dine in together because we have to follow a physical distancing," Facundo said.
Facundo appealed to the public for understanding and cooperation as confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country continued to rise.
"As much as possible, we ask everyone to follow strictly what is being implemented for everyone's safety," Facundo said.
"We still have to keep our guards up as always," he added.