As the country’s major tourist destinations begin to emerge from lockdown and we slowly ease back into normalcy with restrictions being lifted, travel is making its much-awaited comeback in our lives. All of a sudden, travel photos are popping up in our social media feeds.
In case the almost two-year wait has made you forget what it was like to explore the world outside, here are some helpful hacks from former showbiz hopeful-turned-licensed pilot Mann Ed Demalata.
1. Travel light. Check your schedule and count the number of clothes you will be needing. Save yourself from the extra baggage weight by planning your outfits beforehand. The extra space will leave you room for some souvenirs.
2. Use the restroom at the airport departure area. This will help minimize the need to use the inflight lavatory. Apart from sanitary reasons, we all know the struggle of having to excuse ourselves from strangers to get to the lavatory if we’re assigned the window seat.
3. Upon check-in, ask the agents to place a “fragile” sticker on your baggage even if the items inside are not breakable. This is to ensure extra protection for your luggage especially if you are carrying designer brands.
4. Always bring fully charged power banks or portable chargers for your devices like camera, mobile phone, and tablet. Capturing picture-perfect moments and making emergency calls are priceless.
5. Bring a noise cancellation headset or ear buds. Keep yourself entertained during lull times by streaming your favorite series or jamming with your customized playlist. Additionally, snorers and crying infants are unavoidable so save yourself from the inconvenience.
6. Board as early as possible so that overhead bins will be available closest to your seats. Trust me, it will be a lot easier when you can readily get your luggage out for deplaning.
7. Bring a basic medicine and first aid emergency kit. This will come in handy in case any of you feel sick or encounter an accident. Do not forget to include your vitamins and supplements!
8. Arm yourself with information. Make sure you are updated with the COVID-19 data, travel requirements, and protocols in your destination. Whether you are going local or international, making sure you have the necessary documents or testing results will save you time and effort.
9. Always have rubbing alcohol with you. Carry a tightly-sealed bottle (one with a nozzle seems easy to use) to avoid spillage. Bring a maximum of 100ml as a hand carry item and just place more in your check-in luggage so you can refill later. You can use clear tape around the cap and place the bottle in a resealable bag.
10. Bring your own sunshine. Make sure you have a cheerful attitude with you as you go out there and conquer. After all, that is what vacations are for.
Apart from flying, Capt. Demalata dedicates some time to sharing his experiences on social media. As a former actor, he remains sociable and loves interactions. These days, Demalata happily provides information and airline sneak peek to his more than 230,000 followers on Instagram.
Get more travel tips or just personal updates from our pilot-on-call by following him on Instagram with the same user handle (@pilotoncall).