spot_img
29.8 C
Philippines
Wednesday, May 29, 2024

DoH claims injuries from ’crackers down

- Advertisement -

AS of 6:00 a.m., Jan. 6, 2017, the Department of Health has recorded 630 fireworks-related injuries, or 319 cases (34 percent) less than the five-year (2011-2015) average and 292 cases (32 percent) less compared to the same time period last year.

Health Secretary Paulyn Jean Ubial said of the total 630 cases, 627 were from fireworks injuries, and three cases of fireworks/firecrackers ingestion. She said no deaths were reported.

“We would like to extend our gratitude for the support of other national agencies, the local governments, non-government organizations, and the media for the anti-firecracker campaigns,” said Ubial.

“We do hope that eventually we will attain zero casualties from fireworks during the holidays,” she added.

She noted  the cooperation of local government units that organized public firework displays contributed to success of this campaign,” Ubial added.

DOH records showed 92 or 31 percent out of 627 injuries were caused by piccolo, a prohibited firecracker in the country.

Other firecrackers which caused injuries were kwitis (89, 14 percent), luces (38, 6 percent), five-star (32, 5 percent), and other unidentified/unknown firecrackers (54, 9 percent).

LATEST NEWS

Popular Articles