Advertisement

Instagram delays kids' version after criticism

Facebook announced Monday it was pausing development of the children's version of its Instagram photo-sharing app, after widespread criticism and building worries the platform could damage young people's mental health.

Instagram delays kids' version after criticism
Facebook said on September 27, 2021 that it is suspending development of a version of its Instagram photo-sharing app for children aged under 13, after widespread criticism of the plan. Instagram chief Adam Mosseri complained that the project, which would have created a parentally-supervised version of the app for youngsters, had been widely misunderstood. AFP
The decision to hold the iteration for children under 13 comes as Facebook grapples with fallout from a withering Wall Street Journal series revealing the social media giant's own research showed it knew of the harm Instagram can do to teenage girls' well-being. 

Facebook's announcement was also made just days ahead of testimony from one of its executives before US senators at a hearing they called to probe "toxic effects of Facebook and Instagram on young people".

Instagram chief Adam Mosseri said that the project aimed at children, which would have created a parentally-supervised version of the app for youngsters, had been misunderstood.

"I still firmly believe that it's a good thing to build a version of Instagram that's designed to be safe for tweens," Instagram chief Adam Mosseri said on NBC's Today show.

"But we want to take the time to talk to parents and researchers and safety experts and get to more consensus on how to move forward," he added.

In a written statement he noted "it's better for parents to have the option to give their children access to a version of Instagram that is designed for them".

'Toxic effects on young people'

Widely referred to by the unofficial name "Instagram Kids", the initiative has attracted criticism from various groups since reports of its development emerged earlier this year. 

In May, a group of US senators wrote to Facebook urging the social media giant to halt its rollout, accusing it of a "clear record of failing to protect children on its platforms".

Several US lawmakers signalled their approval of the pause, but some called for it to go further.

"A 'pause' is insufficient. Facebook must completely abandon this project," Senator Ed Markey tweeted.

Following the Journal revelations regarding potential harms linked to Facebook platforms, senators Marsha Blackburn and Richard Blumenthal announced a hearing Thursday focused in the question of protecting children on social media.

"This hearing will examine the toxic effects of Facebook and Instagram on young people and others, and is one of several that will ask tough questions about whether Big Tech companies are knowingly harming people and concealing that knowledge," Blumenthal wrote in a statement last week.

Facebook has confirmed that Antigone Davis, its global head of safety, will testify at the hearing.

Child advocacy groups also welcomed the news and criticized the risks for children associated with Instagram.

"Today's announcement... should give hope to anyone who believes children's wellbeing should come before Big Tech's profits," children's protection non-profit Fairplay said.

"Six months ago, when word leaked that Facebook was planning a kids version of Instagram, everyone assumed it was a fait accompli because Facebook usually does whatever it wants."

The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood has meanwhile attacked Instagram's "relentless focus on appearance", arguing that "younger children are even less developmentally equipped to deal with these challenges" than adolescents.

Facebook has hit back at the Wall Street Journal's characterization of the internal research, stressing that the studies detailed both positive and negative experiences of social media by young people. 

Topics: Facebook , children's version , Instagram , mental health
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementSpeaker GMA
Reopening: PH Economy on The Mend
Advertisement
Reopening: PH Economy on The Mend