Summer is a very special time of the year for us all, and specially this summer of 2022. Our shih tzu child, Summer, turned 17 years old last April 28.
We thought we would lose her last January when she lost a lot of pounds, making her rather weak to stand longer without help from us. This, after being diagnosed with pancreatitis in November, 2021.
She can no longer be given her favorite food of boiled meat and dried treats. She is allowed to eat only the gastrointestinal low fat food in cans and a little renal food in cans. Kaya pumayat siya. (That is why she became thin.)
After another round of complete blood test and comprehensive blood test for the kidneys and liver profiles, she was allowed to eat sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, sayote, spinach and malunggay leaves. However, we were instructed to introduce these food little by little so as not to cause upset stomach.
Since it is her 17th birthday, a milestone, an achievement (!), her doctor allowed her to eat a little boiled chicken breast. To make it easier for her to eat the food, we decided to have it ground by the meat shop staff.
Here is what I came up with which you might want to give to your senior dogs or medically-challenged dogs on his/her birthday, or during a special occasion, or if you want to give something different to your pooch, even if he or she is not sick or a senior doggo. J
Ground chicken breast without the skin
1. Boil the pumpkin and sweet potatoes together.
2. Mash the pumpkin and sweet potatoes, then mix the two vegetables. Put aside.
3. Boil the chicken breast. Strain. Put aside the meat part. Keep the chicken broth for use in other pet dishes later.
4. Grate the carrots.
5. Cut the asparagus stalks into small pieces but leave about a half inch of the upper part of the spear so you can use it as cake décor later.
6. Heat some water. When the water is boiling, drop the asparagus, wait around two (2) minutes or blanche the asparagus, then get the asparagus so it will not get overcooked.
7. Mix the carrots and small pieces of asparagus.
8. Mix the chicken in the mashed pumpkin and sweet potatoes
9. Get a nice plate, put the mixture, and form it into a round cake shape. (See photo)
10. Put the carrot-asparagus mixture on top of the “cake” to serve as “icing.”
11. Put the spears of asparagus on top.
12. Put candles or other cake décor on top.