Coronavirus infections in the Philippines breached the 11,000 mark on Monday, as 292 new cases were recorded, according to the Department of Health.
In its case bulletin, the DOH said the country's cumulative tally of COVID-19 cases has reached 11,086 since the first case was reported on Jan. 30.
READ: PH cases top 10,000, 2nd highest in SEA
Cebu City now has the highest number of COVID-19 infections in the country, with 1,571 cases as of May 10, surpassing Quezon City, which had 1,558.
The Cebu City Health Department on Sunday recorded 97 new cases, the Cebu Daily News reported Monday. Quezon City, which used to have the highest number of infections, logged only 35 new cases Sunday, the DOH said.
Earlier this month, hundreds of inmates in Cebu jails tested positive for COVID-19.
The Cebu City Jail recorded at least 333 COVID-19 cases, accounting for more than 20 percent of total infections in the city.
Of the new cases nationwide, 162 or 56% came from the National Capital Region, 74 or 25% are from Region 7 or Central Visayas, and 56 or 19% are from other regions.
Meanwhile, the country recorded 75 new recovered patients, bringing the total recoveries to 1,999.
Only seven new fatalities were reported, raising the total death toll to 726.
Nearly 2,000 health workers, mostly nurses and doctors, have also contracted the coronavirus disease, the DOH said Monday.
At least 1,991 health workers have COVID-19, with 57 new cases since May 7. None have died in recent days, the DOH case bulletin said.
Of the 1,991 cases, 753 are nurses, 628 are doctors, 127 are nursing assistants, 72 are medical technologists, 39 are radiologic technologists and the rest are other health workers and health facilities personnel.
In Manila, the city government ordered the closure of Ospital ng Tondo from May 11 to 24 so that medical staff there could be deployed to the city's infectious disease control center.
“Our medical and nursing staff will reinforce the frontliners of Sta. Ana Hospital, our Manila Infectious Disease Control Center (MIDCC). All our patients will be directed to other city district hospitals and nearby institutions,” the advisory said.
The closure would also enable the hospital to be cleaned and disinfected, the city government said.
In Quezon City, the police district headquarters at Camp Tomas Karingal was place on lockdown after 13 police officers and a soldier tested positive for COVID-19. The 14 personnel were placed under isolation.
The lockdown started Saturday and would end today.
READ: Hospitals decry lack of test hubs
The QCPD has already started contract tracing to identify those who had direct contact with the infected personnel.
The city government on Monday launched the community mart, an e-mart projected initiated by the Office of the Vice President Leni Robredo, where residents can buy fresh produce from the nearest public or private markets by placing their orders online.
Mona Celine Yap, the city’s Small Business and Cooperatives Development Promotions Office (SBCDPO) chief, said local markets should be ready to adapt to changes on how they conduct business under the new normal when the ECQ is lifted.
Tricycle operators and drivers' associations have been tapped to deliver the orders from the markets to households, she said.
In Pasay City, 10 20-footer container vans were converted into mobile rooms to be used as isolation facilities for COVID-19 patients and as temporary quarters for doctors and health workers to be deployed at the Cultural Center of the Philippines complex in Pasay city, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said.
READ: New infections surge ahead of lockdown expiry
Public Works Secretary Mark Villar said these mobile rooms can be used as additional COVID-19 isolation health facilities or may also function as alternative living quarters to temporarily house doctors and staff on duty at hospitals or at mega quarantine facilities operating at PICC, World Trade Center and Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
He said the containers can accommodate a total of 40 people.
Also on Monday, Senator Imee Marcos cautioned the public against the careless disposal of hospital, laboratory and even household waste, which could trigger a resurgence of COVID-19.
"Cases of infection seem to have gone down, but COVID-19 might blindside the government if it underestimates the importance of proper waste disposal," Marcos said.
An increase in infectious waste from testing labs and hospitals is expected to follow wider mass testing and the lifting of community quarantines.
Marcos urged the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) not to overlook guidelines and compliance measures for the proper disposal of contaminated lab and hospital supplies such as used test kits, syringes, and personal protective equipment (PPE) like face masks, gloves, gowns, and shoe covers.