Advertisement

Crop damage in 5 regions breaches P5-billion mark

More than P2 billion worth of crops in five regions were damaged by Typhoon “Tisoy” (international name “Kammuri”).

Crop damage in 5 regions breaches P5-billion mark
STORM SUFFERANCE. Cagayan reels under severe flooding due to rains dumped by Typhoon ‘Tisoy.' Rubilyn Suboc
In its 6 a.m. update on Friday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said crop damage reached P2.096 billion in Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, the Bicol region, and Eastern Visayas.

The report rice, corn, and high-value crop plantations, as well as fishery, livestock, and agriculture infrastructure were damaged by the storm.

Tisoy also damaged 78,691 houses in Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, and Eastern Visayas and Caraga.

The number of schools damaged was placed at 2,193 in the Cordillera, Caraga, Ilocos, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, and Eastern Visayas regions.

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday pledged to build about 2,000 shelters to relocate families living along foreshore areas in Albay province following the onslaught of Typhoon Tisoy.

Crop damage in 5 regions breaches P5-billion mark
STORM SUFFERANCE. Task Force Lingkod Cagayan and the Quick Response Team conduct an operation for victims in Amulung, Cagayan. Cagayan PIO
Duterte made this commitment after Albay Gov. Al Francis Bichara said several houses along the coastline had been heavily damaged by the typhoon.

“I think we should start relocating them in a nearby place but we should not allow them to be in the foreshore areas. We need to enforce this,” Bichara told the President in a situation briefing in Legazpi City.

“Look at other countries, sa foreshore, nobody lives there. Right now, they’re washed out. The next day, they’ll put up their houses. So when the typhoon comes, the same thing will happen,” he added.

Acknowledging the Bicol region is among the most disaster-prone areas, the President said he commiserated with Bicolanos who bore the brunt of the typhoon’s wrath.

“Apparently you are condemned to suffer this kind of crisis every now and then you know, even before the climate change which made it really worse,” Duterte said.

“I can commit about 2,000 but we have to look for a new site,” he said.

Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año, meanwhile, suggested they implement no-build zones along coastal areas.

Crop damage in 5 regions breaches P5-billion mark
STORM SUFFERANCE. Barangay Cagogobngan in Catubig, Northern Samar experiences severe flooding from Tisoy. James Acdang
“We can actually implement the no-build zone observance, meaning to say 40 meters from the shoreline should be a no-build zone but we have to prepare the relocation sites of these affected families,” Año said.

“I think it is about time really to implement that especially the eastern seaboard where we are visited by at least at the average 16 to 20 typhoons a year it would be more economical if we relocate these families living within the 40 meters...it should be a holistic approach together with the other agencies especially the NHA,” he added.

Duterte said he is “more than satisfied” with the performance of government in responding to victims of the typhoon. 

“Apparently the government agencies knew what to do before the typhoon hit landfall—what it did during the entire crisis and after. So I am more than satisfied by the response,” Duterte said.

The President also asked concerned government agencies to immediately submit their assessment reports to allow government to release calamity funds.

Crop damage in 5 regions breaches P5-billion mark
STORM SUFFERANCE. President Rodrigo Duterte holds a situation briefing on ‘Tisoy’s’ effects in Legazpi. Presidential photo
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council executive director Ricardo Jalad reported that the typhoon left at least 13 dead and some P2.6 billion in infrastructure and agriculture damaged. 

Topics: Typhoon “Tisoy” , National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementGMA-Congress Trivia 1
Advertisement