Provincial buses will be banned from loading and unloading passengers on EDSA starting April 22
as part of the dry run for a ban on provincial buses, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority said Sunday.
MMDA spokesman Celine Pialago said the authorities hoped to close all provincial bus terminals on EDSA by June.
There will be “no apprehensions” during the dry run but the authorities will “strictly implement... the rule prohibiting provincial buses from loading and unloading commuters on EDSA, “ Pialago told ANC.
The franchise of provincial buses is “terminal-to-terminal,” which bars them from stopping on EDSA and other major roads, but this has not been implemented “for the longest period of time,” MMDA Command Center head Bong Nebrija said earlier.
Pialago said the provincial bus ban will not adversely affect the commuters returning to Metro Manila from their Holy Week vacation in the provinces.
“Some of our commuters have arrived in Metro Manila since Friday, and so far we are not expecting heavy traffic for Sunday. By Monday, it’s a regular day for everyone,” he said.
READ: ‘Don’t close down provincial bus terminals’
READ: MMDA to close bus terminals along EDSA after Holy Week
READ: Salceda blasts ‘anti-probinsyano’ bus ban