The Department of Foreign Affairs of the Philippines has raised Alert Level 1 (Precautionary Phase) in Honduras due to the political unrest in the country after the November 2017 general election.
In a statement, the agency urged all Filipinos working and residing in Honduras to take necessary precautions during this period.
“All members of the Filipino community are advised to take necessary precautions,” the DFA ordered.
Alert Level 1 is raised when there are valid signs of internal disturbance, instability, or external threat to the host country.
The DFA said that Filipinos may visit the Philippines Consulate which is located at San Pedro Sula, Cortes, Honduras.
Protests erupted across Honduras last Monday following an official declaration that President Juan Orlando Hernandez has won reelection, even as the Organization of American States proposed a re-do of the disputed vote.
Vice President Ricardo Alvarez rejected the call for new elections and accused opposition leaders of acting like children.
Supporters of challenger Salvador Nasralla blocked streets and highways around the country last Monday with burning tires and rocks.
As soon as police and soldiers cleared obstacles, protesters put them back.
Universities, banks and some other businesses closed due to the disturbances in Tegucigalpa.
People who had to work had to walk to their places of work.
Most businesses were also closed in the country’s second-biggest city, San Pedro Sula.
Report also said that some businesses there had been looted, even as a bus was burned near La Lima about 185 miles (300 kilometers) north of Tegucigalpa.
According to the DFA data, there are currently around 220 Filipinos living and working in Honduras, with most of them working in the garment or textile factories.