THE US Embassy in Manila refused to comment on President Rodrigo Duterte’s remarks in Vietnam that he had received reports that the US Central Intelligence Agency wanted him dead, saying his staff should clarify his statement.
“We [US Embassy] would want to refer you to President Duterte for clarification on his statement,” US embassy press attache Molly Koscina said in a text message.
Before Filipinos living and working in Hanoi, Duterte said that the CIA was planning to kill him.
“That’s the situation. They said, the CIA is planning to kill me. Susmaryosep, ginoo,” Duterte said.
In the same speech, Duterte said he would serve notice to the US that the upcoming joint military exercises would be the last during his term.
“I’m serving notice now to the Americans and to those who are allies...I would serve notice to you now that this will be the last military exercise. Jointly Philippines-US, the last one,” Duterte said.
Other allies with joint military or patrol exercises are Australia and Japan.
He also said that while the military treaty with the United States would stand, he would no longer hold war games that “China does not want.”
He also reiterated his plan to establish new alliances with China when it comes to trade and commerce; and Russia following the Philippines’ plan to buy military equipment and technology from them.
The US said it has not received a formal letter from the Philippines regarding Duterte’s statement.
A firearms smuggling suspect, Wilford Palma, who was arrested in August said earlier this month that they sold gun parts to a top client who claimed they would be used to kill President Duterte.
Palma and Brian Taala were arrested on Aug. 6 for allegedly trying to sneak in P4.5 million worth of smuggled gun parts from the US to Bacolod City.