The Makati Medical Center now has zero in-patient cases of COVID-19 after battling hundreds of coronavirus infections for nearly two years, its chief confirmed Monday.
“Yes, I validate the report,” Dr. Saturnino Javier, MMC Medical Director, confirmed to ABS-CBN News in a text message, verifying the hospital’s statement posted earlier.
“For the first time in 20 months since March 2020, MMC posted zero census for COVID-19 patients in all the COVID-19 Wings and Critical Care units (As of Dec 6, 6:00),” according to the statement attributed to Javier.
Last week, the country’s largest COVID referral center, the Philippine General Hospital, reported zero new COVID admissions, and recorded its lowest number of virus patients in more than a year.
Makati Medical is in the financial district of Metro Manila, the epicenter of COVID infections during the past months.
Javier said he was hoping the recent development would inspire patients, especially those whose illnesses are not related to COVID-19, to seek medical attention.
“This is to further inspire confidence among patients, especially the non-COVID ones, who have been sidelined for a long time already, to get connected once again with their doctors in MMC,” he said.
“Just as well, this is also to inform everyone that MMC is ready to serve all.”
Earlier this year, Makati Med was brimming with COVID patients, reporting full capacity for several weeks.
The Philippines on Monday logged 543 fresh COVID-19 cases, the 8th straight day the number of cases has remained below 700 and the 13th straight day that it remained below 1,000, the ABS-CBN Investigative and Research Group said.
Earlier in the day, the Department of Health said the country was already under low risk classification for COVID, but health protocols would remain, especially with the threat of the new Omicron variant.