The Department of Justice has indicted Julian Roberto Ongpin, son of billionaire and former trade minister Roberto Ongpin, for possession of illegal drugs, particularly cocaine.
A panel of prosecutors created by the DOJ recommended the filing of a criminal complaint against Ongpin for violation of Section 11 of Republic Act No. 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2022 before the Regional Trial Court in San Fernando, La Union.
The DOJ said the criminal offense is non-bailable and that a precautionary hold departure order (PHDO) had earlier been issued by the executive judge of the RTC last October 8.
“The panel of prosecutors assigned to conduct the preliminary investigation of the complaint entitled ‘Philippine National Police (PNP) San Juan La Union vs. Julian Roberto S. Ongpin issued resolution dated 18 October 2021,” the DOJ said in a statement.
It resolved “to indict respondent Julian Roberto Ongpin y Stone for possession of dangerous drugs (i.e. cocaine) under Section 11 of Republic Act no. 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002,” it added.
The panel of prosecutors conducted two preliminary investigation hearings, which were both attended by Ongpin, before issuing its ruling.
The case arose from the recovery of 12.6 grams of cocaine in the room that Ongpin shared with his girlfriend, 30-year-old Jonson, at Flotsam and Jetsam Resort in La Union.
The cocaine was discovered after authorities responded to a report of attempted suicide at the resort and found Jonson unconscious in a room.
Jonson was brought to the Ilocos Training and Regional Medical Center where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
Ongpin asserted that Jonson committed suicide, saying he found her hanging inside the bathroom, prompting him to seek assistance in bringing the woman to the hospital.
Both Ongpin and Jonson reportedly tested positive for illegal drug use.
The National Bureau of Investigation is still investigating Jonson’s cause of death and Ongpin’s possible liability over the incident.