Former Calauan mayor Antonio Sanchez will no longer be transferred to the Philippine General Hospital after his condition has improved, an official of the Department of Justice said on Thursday.
“His condition has improved, he will no longer be transferred to the PGH,” Justice Secretary Markk Perete said in a text message to reporters.
Perete added that the Bureau of Corrections informed the DOJ that Sanchez’ swab test came back negative.
Sanchez underwent an RT-PCR test after he tested positive of COVID-19 in the rapid test. He also exhibited symptoms of the virus such as flu and shortness of breath.
Sanchez remains at the New Bilibid Prison Hospital but is already on stable condition, BuCor said.
However, Sanchez has been diagnosed with community-acquired pneumonia moderate risk, acute gastroenteritis, chronic kidney disease, diabetes mellitus type 2 and benign prostatic hypertrophy
Sanchez was meted with seven terms of reclusion perpetua (up to 40 years imprisonment) for the rape and murder of Eileen Sarmenta and the killing of her boyfriend Allan Gomez in 1993.
The convicted rapist was initially brought to the Ospital ng Muntinlupa Monday evening but since the hospital has no more space for probable COVID patient, prison authorities brought him back to the national penitentiary.
Last year, the former mayor hogged the headlines after the DOJ announced he may be able to get out of prison by availing of the good conduct allowance provided for under the controversial Good Conduct Time Allowance law.
The controversy surrounding the grant of GCTA led authorities to review its implementation to exclude from coverage those convicted of heinous crimes.
A Senate inquiry on the issue also resulted in the revelation of other anomalies inside the NBP such as the “hospital pass for sale.”