Advertisement

More Filipinos exit from Saudi amid pandemic

A total of 10,369 Filipinos stranded abroad were sent back to the Philippines last week, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Sunday.

“This brings the total number of DFA-repatriated [Filipinos] to 78,809 since the government began its COVID-19 repatriation efforts in February 2020,” the department in a statement.

The agency said around 47.16 percent of the total or 37,166 were sea-based and 52.84 percent or 41,643 were land-based.

The most recent repatriates were brought home from France, The Netherlands, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the United States, and Vietnam, and they arrived on Friday.

“The [department] continues to facilitate more flights from the Middle East, which is home to over two million Filipinos,” the department said.

This past week, the department said, it helped in the repatriation of 6,681 Filipinos from the Middle East: nine flights from the UAE, seven flights from Saudi Arabia, three flights from Qatar, two from Bahrain and one from Kuwait.

The department said it also facilitated the return of 1,628 stranded Filipinos from the Asia-Pacific region, particularly from Hong Kong, the Maldives, Myanmar, South Korea, and Sri Lanka.

“The return of our stranded seafarers from Europe also continues as the [department] facilitated the repatriation of 1,204 sea-based workers who arrived from Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, and Turkey,” the agency said.

“Finally, the [department] mounted five chartered flights this week using its Assistance-to-Nationals fund, which brought home 1,323 Filipinos from Japan, Pakistan, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia,” it added.

Topics: Department of Foreign Affairs , OFW , COVID-19 , repatriation
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementSpeaker GMA
Advertisement