AGRI party-list Rep. Wilbert Lee has lauded President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr.’s order to postpone fare increases for LRT-1 and LRT-2 pending a thorough study.
“We thank you, dear President Marcos for (your) wisdom in deferring the implementation of fare increases for LRT-1 at LRT-2 until a thorough study is being done on how it will adversely affect the riding public,” Lee said.
Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Jaime Bautista announced on Tuesday in a press briefing that the DOTr has approved fare hikes for both LRT-1 and LRT-2, but will defer its implementation upon the orders the President pending a thorough study on “how a fare hike today will impact on passengers.”
In the same briefing, Bautista revealed the fare hike for MRT-3 was also being deferred “due to infirmities in complying with the requirements and procedure.”
Lee said the proposed LRT-MRT fare hikes, if implemented, would have been a “cruel blow” amid rising inflation levels.
Last year, Lee urged his fellow lawmakers to restore the proposed budget of the DOTr for its “Libreng Sakay” program.
“The ‘Libreng Sakay’ program extensively helps millions of our fellow Filipinos. Sa ‘Libreng Sakay’, natutulungan at nakikinabang hindi lang ang mga commuter, kundi pati na rin ang mga operator, driver at transport cooperatives,” Lee said.
Once implemented, the minimum fare for both LRT-1 and LRT-2 will increase to P14 from P12, while the maximum fare for LRT-1 will increase to P35 from P29, and P33 from P28 for LRT-2.
The LRTA had earlier petitioned for an additional P2.50 increase in the LRT-1 and LRT-2 while the MRT-3 is pushing for a P3 to P4 increase.