The Department of Health (DOH) has assured that the country is “prepared” and will continuously prepare for COVID-19.
This, even if the World Health Organization (WHO) Emergency Committee should eventually decide that the disease no longer presents as a global health emergency.
“The virus is here to stay and the Philippines will continue to be cautious and vigilant by continuously practicing our protocols, safeguards, and imposing our current restrictions which are relatively lenient already,” the DOH said.
The WHO committee is set to convene on January 27 to determine whether or not COVID still poses as an emergency around the world.
Meanwhile, the extension of the state of calamity due to COVID-19 in the Philippines remains up in the air. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has yet to decide on the DOH’s recommendations in favor of this.
The memorandum recommending this was submitted to the Office of the President late last year.
Health Officer-in-Charge Maria Rosario Vergeire has said that there remains a “small probability” that the state of calamity will be extended.
“In any instance that cases should rise, we can adapt and adjust our protocols accordingly. To reiterate, the national government is ready and continues to prepare for any situation that may arise. Our hospitals are following the accordion policy to ensure that our healthcare system is prepared to manage the cases should there be a rapid increase in hospitalization.”
The DOH likewise advised the public to continue assessing their risks and employing layers of protection to prevent transmission not only of COVID-19 but other communicable diseases.
“It is important to be up to date with our vaccinations both routine and for COVID-19 as these serve as our best defense in preventing severe illness caused by vaccine-preventable diseases such COVID-19 among others,” the DOH said.