AT LEAST 77 Filipino workers in Libya were repatriated following the escalation of the civil strife in that African nation, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Friday.
The first batch composed of 46 Filipinos arrived Friday afternoon while the second batch composed of 31 will arrive today, the department said.
“The repatriates left Tripoli for Tunis via the Ras Jedier border on February 25,” the department said in a statement.
“The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli, led by Chargé d’affaires Adel Cruz, provided for their lodging and basic necessities, coordinated their flight details, and personally accompanied them out of the Libyan border into the Tunisian border.”
The embassy team based in Tunisia extended airport and consular assistance and facilitated the repatriates’ smooth departure from Tunis.
The total number of Filipinos repatriated from Libya since last year has reached 4,233. Representatives from the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration received the Filipinos at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
Due to the volatile security situation in Libya and the escalating violence in different parts of that country, Foreign Affairs and the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli appealed to the remaining Filipinos there to register for repatriation.
An estimated 4,000 Filipinos remain in that country. But the repatriation efforts have become more dangerous and difficult considering that no foreign carrier is flying into Libya.