Nine public schools in Makati City have already shifted to sustainable and renewable energy by using solar panels, Mayor Abigail Binay said on Thursday.
At the launching of the solar panel project at San Antonio National High School, Binay highlighted the importance of “walking the talk” when it comes to promoting sustainability and raising awareness about the impact of climate change.
“As a city, we have a responsibility to protect the environment and address the effects of climate change. The use of solar panels in schools is just one step towards achieving our goal of creating a more sustainable and resilient city. By investing in solar panels for our public schools, we are taking a step towards a greener, more sustainable future for our beloved city,” Binay said.
Under the project, a total of 25 public elementary and high schools in the city will transition to the use of solar energy. San Antonio National High School is one the first schools to have fully-operational solar panels on site.
Makati High School, East Rembo Elementary School, Makati Elementary School, Pembo Elementary School, San Antonio Village Elementary School, Nicanor Garcia Elementary School, Tibagan High School, and Rizal Elementary School have also started using solar panels.
The project will reduce energy consumption and costs in schools by harnessing the power of the sun. By using solar panels, schools will be able to generate electricity, reduce their reliance on traditional power sources, and decrease their carbon footprint.
The panels are projected to produce enough energy to power the schools during daylight hours, with excess energy being fed back into the grid.
San Antonio National High School reported that 88 percent (3644 kWh) of its recent total electricity consumption came from collected solar power energy, while the remaining 12 percent (498 kWh) was sourced from the usual electric distribution utility company.
Besides saving the city energy and money, Binay said San Antonio High School’s transition to renewable energy also translates to environmental benefits: 2.41 equivalent trees planted and 4.35 t CO2 emissions saved.
“The city’s solar panel project is an excellent example of how local governments can take action to promote sustainable energy practices and lead by example. The initiative is a significant step towards a more sustainable future and one that will inspire other cities and communities to follow suit,” Mayor Abby said.
Meanwhile, panel installation is ongoing at Fort Bonifacio High School, Guadalupe Viejo Elementary School, Gen. Pio del Pilar National High School, Bangkal Elementary School-Main, Benigno “Ninoy” S. Aquino High School and Pitogo Elementary School.
The next phase of the project will cover 10 more public schools in the city.Makati is also pushing forward with its sustainable transportation models, among them the smart public transport system. The project involves the development of a public transportation master plan, establishment of a public transport information and communications technology (ICT) system, pilot operation of an electric vehicle (EV) bus service, establishment of an EV bus depot, and capacity building of city officials and personnel.