More than 15,000 security personnel will be deployed for the inauguration of President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on June 30, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said on Friday. Marcos will take his oath as the 17th President of the Philippines.
In a statement, the PNP said the security force dubbed Task Force Security Shield would be composed of policemen, soldiers, Coast Guard elements, and other law enforcement units.
Task Force Manila Shield will be activated two days before the inaugural at the National Museum of the Philippines to ensure “maximum security,” PNP director for operations Major General Valeriano De Leon said.
Checkpoints will be set up in all the entry points to Manila for three days starting on June 28, while a gun ban will be imposed starting June 27 in Metro Manila.
Maximum tolerance however, will be afforded protesters as instructed by acting PNP chief Lt. Gen, Vicente Danao Jr., De Leon said.
“There will be freedom parks assigned to the protesters, so we appeal to them to go and stay on those freedom parks to prevent unnecessary confrontation with our CDM units,” he added.
“As instructed by our OIC PNP Police Lieutenant General Vicente Danao Jr. we will exercise maximum tolerance but at the same time we will not allow them to create trouble, so I appeal to them anew to use the freedom parks designated for them to stage their protest.”
Police commanders in Metro Manila and adjacent provinces were directed to boost intelligence-gathering against “threat groups” in light of the supposed plot to sabotage Marcos’ inauguration.
Outgoing Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso has declared June 30 a special non-working holiday in Manila “to ensure the safety, security, and protection of participants” in the Marcos’ inauguration.
The Manila City government, in coordination with concerned agencies of the national government, will close various thoroughfares in the vicinity of the National Museum.
“It is but fitting and proper that all citizens of the country, in general, and residents of the City of Manila, in particular, be given full opportunity to witness and welcome this significant event in the life of the nation,” the city government said in a statement.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Friday said it is already clearing alternate routes for trucks as part of the preparations for the inaugural.
“Roads will be closed starting June 27, these are for the rehearsals. So we will close Padere Burgos, and even Plaza Dilao will be affected,” said MMDA Task Force Special Operations chief Edison Nebrija.
“Near the periphery of the National Museum, we are clearing that. The alternate route for that will be Taft Avenue, we are clearing that. Roxas Boulevard will require minimal clearing work, we’re only looking at the illegally parked vehicles there,” Nebrija said.
“Last week pa inaaraw-araw na po namin ang pagki-clear dyan,” he said.
“Our main concern is the truck route that passes from Osmena to Quirino to Lacson to Yuseco then Capulong then R-10.
These streets are very tight because there are a lot of obstructions, a lot of illegally parked vehicles, and containers of trucks. We have been clearing these roads every single day,” he added.