Foreign portfolio investments or hot money yielded net inflows of $274 million in February, resulting from the $945-million gross inflows and $670-million gross outflows, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas said Friday.
The BSP said in a statement that the February net inflows were larger than January figure of $15 million.
Data show that the country received $945 million worth of gross inflows in February, up by 29.1 percent or $213 million from $731 million in January.
“Majority of investments [or 79.3 percent] registered were in PSE-listed securities [investments mainly in banks; property; holding firms; food, beverage and tobacco; and transportation services] while the remaining 20.7 percent went to investments in peso government securities,” the BSP said.
The United Kingdom, the United States, Luxembourg, Singapore, and Hong Kong were the top five investor countries in February.