ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer has confirmed that negotiations are ongoing for a possible title fight for WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes against WBA/WBO flyweight world champion Francisco ‘El Gallo’ Estrada (33-2, 24 KOs), who has not seen any activity since September of 2015, due to an injury to his right hand that required surgery.
Estrada, who won the title from Brian Viloria and then successfully defended it against Milan Melindo in Macau, said he is very eager to get into the ring against undefeated WBO junior flyweight champion Nietes, although he will be required to wait until the second half of the year.
Aldeguer told The Standard that negotiations are going on and he is actually looking for an Estrada-Nietes fight at the StubHub Center in California on Sept. 24.
The ALA chief revealed that he had already spoken to WBO president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel if he would allow Nietes, who enjoys the privilege of being a Super Champion, to face Estrada.
“If he wins, he will retain the title at 112 pounds, but if he doesn’t, we honor the mandatory title defense against Moises Fuentes after 90 days,” Aldeguer said.
The ALA Promotions president said he had spoken with Zanfer Promotions, headed by Fernando Beltran.
“We are hoping that HBO will come in. We have started talking with the Estrada camp about the possibility. WBO president ‘Paco’ Valcarcel is open about it. We hope we can make it happen,” he said.
Aldeguer cited the case of super champion Omar Andres Narvaez, the flyweight super champion who fought Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire in a super bantamweight title bout and lost, but retained his flyweight crown.
“The doctor ‘s order on Dec. 28 indicated that approximately four to six months of recovery would be required. I have not trained nor can I use the hand to punch because in fact I still have some swelling,” Estrada said.
Estrada had to undergo surgery to repair a torn ligament and remove a cyst from his right hand (an injury lingering for the last three years), and the hand is inflamed and swollen.
He told Boxing Scene: “I decided to have surgery after last fight because up to 80 percent of my ability was being affected. And sometimes, I fought through pain and after the fighting needed therapies.”