Malacañang said Thursday it will not release President Rodrigo Duterte’s medical bulletin in spite of public concern over it.
Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said there was no reason for the Executive department to publish Duterte’s checkup results.
“No, the Palace will not [release a medical bulletin] because the Constitution requires serious illness,” Panelo told reporters.
“The President knows he is not in serious illness, so he is not obligated to release anything about his condition.”
Panelo said Duterte had always been transparent about his health condition because he had been telling the public about his ailments.
“He is, in fact, the most transparent President. He keeps telling us, ‘I have this sickness, this one hurts.’ I haven’t seen a President like that. He’s the most transparent,” Panelo said.
He made the remark after the latest Social Weather Stations survey found that most of those polled were concerned about the President’s health.
SWS said 66 percent of the adults it polled were worried about the President’s health while 34 percent were not.
The pollster said the number of those worried over the President’s health rose by 11 percent from the 55 percent recorded in September.
Panelo said the increase only showed that people wanted the President to remain in office.
“They don’t want to be deprived of the change that they have seen with his governance. That’s how I see it,” Panelo said.
He said the survey could also mean that an overwhelming number of Filipinos were praying for Duterte’s good health, well-being and a successful term.
“They worry that this President... would not last his presidency,” Panelo said.
“They fear that such an unwelcome event will deprive them of the genuine change they have seen in his unorthodox, tough yet compassionate and caring governance.”
Panelo said Duterte had assured the public that there was no cause for worry as he was healthy.
“His punishing schedule of activities in attending and responding to the needs of the citizenry is proof of his good physical condition,” Panelo said.
“Even as he performs his constitutional duties, he shall endeavor to always watch over his health.”
Duterte’s made the headlines in September last year after the 73-year-old President snubbed two official events, including a supposed meeting with his Cabinet officials.
He then disclosed that he underwent intestine-related procedures to check his digestive tract, and then assured the public that he remained in good health.