The Palace said Tuesday it was not surprised to hear possible destabilization moves against President Rodrigo Duterte as the military again warned that communist rebels were planning another ouster plot by December.
“I am not surprised that they have a plot because that is precisely the rationale of the creation of the Communist Party of the Philippines―to oust the government,” said Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo told reporters.
“So it’s doubtful if they don’t plan an ouster move every day. For 50 years they have been planning, but so far they have failed.”
Panelo made his statement even as the police and military said seven alleged terrorists linked to the “Red October” plot to remove Duterte from power this month were arrested on Tuesday.
Among those nabbed in separate operations were five high-ranking communist terrorists and two leaders of the Maute Group, the security agencies said in a joint statement.
Panelo said the Armed Forces of the Philippines had the resources and the intelligence to validate any information on any ouster plot.
Panelo’s remark came after military warned of another destabilization plot against the administration in December after the reported “Red October” plan fizzled out.
AFP spokesman Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo claimed the communist leadership was planning to proceed with its plan in time for the golden anniversary of the Communist Party of the Philippines on Dec. 26.
“We described this destabilization plot as rolling as the communist leadership intends to sustain their anti-government moves this October, November and until their December founding anniversary celebration,” Arevalo said.
He said the Red October plan failed after the authorities revealed it to the public and discouraged groups not to join the opposition.
But he said the communists’ plan to overthrow the government was still on, adding the military could not afford to relax in the face of the communist threat.