Malacañang on Saturday said it had nothing to do with the removal of two of six security personnel assigned to escort Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, saying elected officials like Trillanes were allowed to have only four police or military to act as bodyguards.
The opposition senator, one of the most vocal critics of President Rodrigo Duterte, said his security personnel had been reduced from six to four on orders of the President.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, however, said Trillanes was only allowed to have four security personnel and it was the PNP that recalled the two police detailed to the senator.
In a statement, Roque said that as per PNP, two were removed as he already had six when he’s only allowed four.
“Let’s allow our PNP to keep our communities safe please,” Roque added.
PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde reportedly said there was no directive to strip the opposition senator of police escorts, adding the “duty” of security men assigned to Trillanes might have already “expired” and must be renewed.
The PNP also found that Trillanes had six security personnel: two from the Armed Forces of the Philippines, two from the Philippine Navy and two from the Senate Security Bureau.
“The non-renewal of the letter orders of the excess security of Trillanes from the PNP is in compliance with the implementation of ‘Alunan Doctrine’ that allows government officials to have two security personnel protecting them,” the PNP said.