The Judicial and Bar Council will hold public interview on four of the 20 applicants aspiring for the position of Associate Justice of the Supreme Court left vacant by the promotion of Lucas Bersamin as Chief Justice in November last year.
In an advisory, the JBC said the interview will be held tomorrow, Feb. 13, at the Division Hearing Room of the SC Main Building in Padre Faura, Manila.
However, only four of the 20 nominees will be the subject of public interview—Court of Appeals Justices Henry Jean Paul Inting, Jhosep Lopez and Nina Antonio-Valenzuela, and Court of Tax Appeals Justice Roman del Rosario.
Apart from the four, also nominated for the position are include CA Justices Oscar Badelles, Ramon Bato Jr., Apolinario Bruselas Jr., Ramon Cruz, Stephen Cruz, Edgardo delos
Santos, Japar Dimaampao, Ramon Garcia, Amy Lazaro-Javier, Mario Lopez, Eduardo Peralta Jr., and Ricardo Rosario.
Sandiganbayan Presiding Justice Amparo Cabotaje-Tang and her colleague, Efren dela Cruz as well as Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez are also vying for the SC post.
Also seeking Bersamin’s post are former Ateneo law dean Cesar Villanueva,
But the JBC said they will not undergo public hearing since “their previous interviews are still valid.”
The JBC held its first deliberation on the application for Bersamin’s post last January 31.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, JBC ex-oficio member, earlier said that after the deliberation, the JBC Executive Committee will come up with the official list of contenders for the position, which will be the subject of the final deliberations by the JBC at its next meeting. Rey E. Requejo
“Only then will the JBC shortlist be prepared and submitted to the President,” the DOJ chief added.
The JBC is the body tasked by the Constitution with screening and vetting applicants and nominees to the SC, the CA, Sandiganbayan and the Office of the Ombudsman.
Bersamin is set to retire from the judiciary in October after just 11 months as chief justice after reaching the mandatory retirement age of 70.