The liver is the largest and busiest internal organ of the body. With more than 500 bodily functions attributed to it, it may as well be called a “Silent Hero.”
Here are eight things about this hardworking organ you probably didn’t know about.
- Liver is a storage facility. It stores important vitamins, energy, and minerals and releases them in the blood.
- It is a soldier. It helps in resisting infections by producing immune factors and removing bacteria from the blood.
- It is a nutrient processing plant. Every time a person feeds themselves, their liver feeds them. It processes multiple nutrients once food is digested, thus what an individual eats and drinks can tell how healthy their liver is. Among liver-friendly food and drinks are grapes, berries, garlic, coffee, and green tea.
- It is a detoxifier. It detoxifies by metabolizing and expelling drugs, alcohol, and environmental toxins from the system.
- It also produces proteins that are crucial in blood clotting.
- It can be abused by alcohol. Further, liver disease may be caused by obesity, parasites, viruses. and bacteria.
- Symptoms of liver disease include fatigue, jaundice, abdominal pain, and weight loss. There are blood tests used to help diagnose and monitor liver disease or damage. These tests measure the levels of liver enzymes and proteins in the blood.
- It needs love and care. Experts strongly advise eating and drinking mindfully to keep the liver healthy. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and proper diet, together with intake of essential phospolipids may also help improve liver function. Manufactured in Germany, Phospolipids (Essentiale Forte P) contains purified essential phospholipids or EPL extracted from natural food that can be easily absorbed by liver cells.