Advertisement

Duterte govt completed 17 airport projects in three years

The Department of Transportation said Tuesday it completed 17 commercial airport projects in the first half of President Rodrigo Duterte’s term and is undertaking 28 more projects.

“Connectivity and mobility in transport are key components in socio-economic development. By building new airports and rehabilitating existing ones, the transportation sector contributes to both regional and national progress,” said Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade.

The agency said two new international airports that in the first half of Duterte’s six-year term were built, including Lal-Lo International Airport in Cagayan and Bohol-Panglao International Airport.

Fifteen other existing gateways were upgraded, two of which are international and 13 domestic. 

Under rehabilitated international airports, the Mactan-Cebu International Airport, hailed as the world’s friendliest resort airport, opened a new passenger terminal building last year, boosting annual capacity to 13.5 million passengers.

The Puerto Princesa Airport’s PTB was also expanded and its runway extended to accommodate larger aircraft. 

Domestic airports were not left behind, according to the department.  It said that on July 5, 2019, Ormoc Airport’s new facilities, including a renovated PTB and a widened runway, were inaugurated by no less than President Duterte.

Infrastructure developments for the domestic airports of Virac, Marinduque, Tuguegarao, San Vicente, and Busuanga in Luzon; Maasin, Tacloban, and Catarman in the Visayas; and Ipil, Camiguin and Siargao in Mindanao were accomplished.

The government is set to build one  more international airport. The Ninoy Aquino International Airport, the country’s main gateway, continues the rehabilitation works for Terminal 2.

These include the expansion of departure check-in hall and arrival baggage area; architectural improvements in passenger movement areas; upgrade of aerobridge areas and elevated roadway; new glass wall panels and partitions; upgrade of air-conditioning system, power, lightings, fire protection, and electronics and communications systems; installation of an improved flight information display system and a new public address system; and waterproofing works for building exterior, among others.

It said that as the Naia rehabilitation continued, the government was working to decongest the main gateway through complementary infrastructure development.

Additional facilities at Sangley Airport in Cavite are now under 24/7 construction to meet the November 2019 deadline of the president for the military air base to commence general aviation and turboprop operations. 

Construction is also ongoing for the second PTB of Clark International Airport. The expansion is seen to increase CRK’s overall capacity to 12.2 million passengers annually. An additional runway is also set for construction.

Plans are also underway for the proposed New Manila International Airport in Bulacan. Opening of bids is on July 31, 2019. 

Meanwhile, the Bicol International Airport is now more than halfway completed. The airport is expected to accommodate 2 million passengers per year and is targeted for completion by 2020.

International airports in Davao, General Santos, Zamboanga, Iloilo, Kalibo and Laoag are also undergoing improvements.

Development projects continue for domestic airports in Busuanga, Cauayan, Naga and Tuguegarao in Luzon; Bacolod-Silay, Calbayog, Catbalogan, Dumaguete and Tacloban in the Visayas; and Bukidnon, Ipil, Laguinduingan, Mati, M’lang, Ozamiz, Sanga-Sanga, Siargao and Surigao in Mindanao.

Topics: Department of Transportation , airport projects , Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement